It’s that time of year again when temperatures drop to and stay below freezing for a prolonged period. You can quite literally feel the excitement build up throughout the Netherlands, a country of ice-skating enthusiasts. Ice-skates are sold out in stores, scenes of ice-skating marathons along frozen canals and lakes fill television screens every evening, and the country looks to the northern province of Friesland in anticipation of the legendary Elfstedentocht (an ice-skating marathon along 200km of canals and lakes past eleven Frisian towns). This is a photo I took near the town of Leiden of people skating on a frozen waterway.
Read the accompanying post: “The Dutch Winter Frenzy“.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Most Popular Photos
- The market in downtown Amman
- Public art by Joan Miro in Barcelona
- The invisible car
- White pebble beach in Albir
- The Corinthian columns of Jerash
- The Palace of the Air by Salvador Dali
- The beaches of Camogli
- Jamon Iberico at the La Boqueria Market, Barcelona
- The Gala Dalí Castle in Púbol
- The magnetic stones of Easter Island